Monday 19 March 2012

The End is Nigh (well, one of them at any rate)

Caroline Smailes (a fellow Friday Project author) is an immensely talented lady. Should you require proof, check out her books In Search of Adam or Black Books (those are the ones I've read) or Like Bees to Honey.
Her latest book, 99 Reasons Why, is, however, a book with a difference: it is only being published as an e-book and comes with 9 different endings which readers can navigate using multiple choice questions on their Kindle or via a spinning story wheel on their iPad or iPhone.




So what, I hear you say. Well, there are also two more endings: One will be handwritten by Caroline and auctioned for charity, the other is being shared across the web on a number of blogs - one of which is mine.

Woohoo.

It's certainly a neat way of promoting the book and hey, if you don't like the ending below, well there are 9 others to choose from. The book is available for both Kindle and iPhone/iPad (via iTunes).

So, roll of drums and trumpet fanfare, I give to you 99 Reasons Why - the Ending!


99: the reason why I was only worth ninety-nine quid

It’s been six days since the little girl in the pink coat went missing and me Uncle Phil’s in me bedroom.


We’ve been watching the little girl in the pink coat’s mam on the news. She was appealing to the public for witnesses.


‘Didn’t realise she had a mam,’ I says, looking at me telly.


‘Everyone’s got a mam, pet,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘She sold her story to The Sun,’ I says, looking at me telly.


‘Got a few quid,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


I nod.


‘She wanted nowt to do with that bairn before all this,’ me Uncle Phil says, looking at me telly.


‘Do you know where she is?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


‘Belle?’ me Uncle Phil asks me.


I nod.


‘She’s safe,’ me Uncle Phil says to me. ‘Your mam’s keeping an eye on her.’


‘Can I be her mam?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


‘No, pet, you’re a filthy whore,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


I nod.


‘Can you make Andy Douglas come back, Uncle Phil?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


Me Uncle Phil shakes his head.


‘I love him,’ I tell me Uncle Phil.


‘Andy Douglas is your brother, pet. You didn’t seriously think Princess Di was your mam, did you?’ me Uncle Phil asks me.


I nod.


‘You’re a cradle snatcher just like your mam,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


I nod.


‘Your mam miscarried when she found out I’d been banging Betty Douglas. Betty was expecting you,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


I don’t speak.


‘When you was born, your mam went mad and I ended up buying you from Betty Douglas for ninety-nine quid,’ me Uncle Phil says.


‘Ninety-nine quid?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


‘I paid a hundred but got a quid change for some chips for your mam and dad’s tea,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘You bought me?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


I’m a little bit sick in me mouth.


‘It was the right thing to do,’ me Uncle Phil says to me. ‘I got Betty Douglas pregnant straight away with Andy.’


‘I’m pregnant,’ I says to me Uncle Phil. ‘I’m pregnant with me brother’s baby,’ I says, and then I throws up on me purple carpet.


‘You’re a filthy whore,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘What am I going to do?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


‘You’re going to have the baby,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘Have me brother’s baby?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.


‘Then I’m giving it to Betty Douglas to bring up,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘You what?’ I says to me Uncle Phil.


‘It’s the right thing to do,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


‘I can’t—’ I says to me Uncle Phil.


‘It’s either that or I’ll make you disappear,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.


I don’t speak.


I’m thinking, they’re all a bunch of nutters.

No comments: